Cucumber & Melon with Ginger Lime Dressing
thinly sliced cucumbers
thinly sliced red onion
long wedges canteloupe
2 tbsp lime juice
1 1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp wild honey
3 tbsp grapeseed oil
1 tbsp sesame/avocado oil
1 tsp poppy seeds
course ground pepper to taste
optional: slivers of basil, cilantro, or dill
Chop cucumber, melon, onion into small pieces.
Whisk together dressing ingredients.
Place into a mixing bowl and toss together. Add fresh herbs and pepper before serving.
check back for more RECIPES lovingly provided by MARKET staff, LOCAL Artisans and our seasonal FARMERS.
coming soon from our 8/21 and 8/28 community
- roasted baby eggplant with garlic and crimson pears
- bulgur wheat with tomato, eggplant, and basil
- curried eggplant
- spicy eggplant with chickpeas and bean sprouts
- eggplant parmesan rollatini
- farewell to summer eggplant caviar
Beets on the Grill
6 beets, scrubbed
2 tablespoons butter
salt and pepper to taste
Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.
Coat one side of a large piece of aluminum foil with cooking spray. Place beets and butter on foil; season with salt and pepper.
Wrap foil over beets.
Place packet on the grill grate. Cook 30 minutes, or until beets are very tender. Allow beets to cool about 5 minutes before serving.
You don't even need to peel to enjoy!
with new life and energy for healthy living!
POLOW - PERSIAN SOUR CHERRY SAFFRON RICE
24-oz jar of sour cherries in light syrup
1/2 teaspoon saffron, soaked in 2 tablespoons hot water
3 cups basmati rice
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1. Soak the rice: Wash and soak the basmati rice in water for 2 hours. This step is not totally necessary, but it does produce a more tender rice.
2. Make the rice: Drain the rice. Fill a large pot with water and boil. Add the rice and boil on medium heat for 8 minutes exactly. Drain the rice and rinse with cool water to stop the cooking. Drain. In the same pot over high heat, add half of the butter. When hot: Add half of the drained rice Pour half of the saffron+soaking water over the rice Stir a bit Add half of the drained cherries Add remaining rice Pour rest of saffron+ soaking water Add remaining butter Stir just this layer a bit Add the remaining drained cherries *Traditionally, this is done in a pyramid shape. I'm not coordinated enough to handle that request. The wider the pan you have, the more crusty rice crust you get.
Wrap your lid with a thin kitchen towel and cover the pot. This helps the steam stay in the pot, which is important because you aren't adding any additional liquid to the pot. Cook on high for 10 minutes (to create a nice crunchy crust). Turn heat down to super-low for 20 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
3. Make the syrup: While rice is cooking, cook syrup + 1 cup sugar over medium heat for 30 minutes until it reduces down to a sweet, sticky syrup. Set aside.
4. Serve: When the rice is done, drizzle 1/2 cup of the syrup over the rice. See the nice crust of rice at the bottom of the pan? Its well known that household bribery, deception and wars have erupted over who gets to eat that part!
STUFFED BELL PEPPERS
large bell peppers
warm spinach leaves
walla walla onion
1. Set the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Bake for 10 minutes.
3. Crack an egg on top and bake for another 10 minutes.